Carpet Tile Installation Methods
Want a carpet but want the flexibility that other flooring options offer too? Well, carpet tiles are your best option. Carpet tiles offer you affordability as well as flexibility and you can install them easily too. All you need to do is to discover the different carpet tile installation methods
Now that you have decided on carpet tiles for your new interior, you just need to install them. Not only have we laid out a guide for you but we have all the best carpet tiles for you to choose from as well. You can choose from a variety of different styles and you can even find all the tools you will need right here on our store as well. There is more than one way to install them so here is your guide on carpet tile installation methods. Pick your best option and get to work!
Follow these simple steps and you will be on your way to having your dream home.
First things first- preparation!
The Best Place to Install Carpet Tiles
The best place to install carpet tiles is on a smooth surface. Carpet tiles have nylon on the top and a type of vinyl on the back. The best surfaces to use them on is on. A flat surface like tiling or concrete. Wooden surfaces are fine as well as long as the surface is flat.
You can use carpet tiles in a variety of different ways. Depending on the design, you can use it to cover just a small area or the entire surface floor of a room. One of the best things about carpet tiles is that you can figure out the amount that you need and only purchase that. You don’t need to waste money buying more than you will actually end up using.
Perhaps you just want to brighten up a room.
Simply purchase a few carpet tiles to use for a splash of color. The other great thing about carpet tiles is that they are flexible in use. Want to change it up? No problem, most carpet tiles can be removed with ease and reinstalled at a later stage.
If you use your garage as a workplace, carpet tiles are great to use as well. They can be easily removed, washed and reinstalled.
Now that you have purchased the best carpet tile for you and also figured out where you want to install them, all you need to do is to read on the find out to install carpet tiles without glue.
How to prepare for your carpet tile fitting:
1. Scrub Your Subfloor
There are a few things that you need to do before you can start to lay your carpet tiles. You need to make certain that your subfloor is well prepared. This means that you are going to give it a good solid clean. Make sure that you have gotten rid of any dust or debris. The subfloor needs to be clean and dry.
Before you begin your carpet tile installation, there is another way that you can prepare for the project. Once you have all your carpet tiles ready for the installation, unpack them and lay them out on the floor. This helps you to make sure that you do actually have all your tiles and you won’t run into any mistakes after you have already begun. It can also check each individual carpet tile.
2. Get Your Toolkit Ready
Okay, so now that your floor is ready and you are sure that you have all your carpet tiles ready- it is time to make sure you have all the tools that you will need!
What you will need:
• Level to ensure a smooth and flat surface for the carpet tiles
• Chalk line
• Razor sharp utility knife
• Floor Roller
3. Time to relax
Okay, this one might sound a little bit strange. Once your tiles are unpacked, lay them out across the floor just as you will fit them permanently. Let them stay like this, in the room where you will fit them, for 48 hours. Sounds weird, right? Think of it as a kind of ‘climatizing’. Just do it- you may not understand why but just trust the process.
4. Switch off any heating
If you are using adhesive or tactile then switch off your underfloor. The tiles should be fitted on a floor that has a temperature below 27 degrees Celsius. Additionally, you should avoid laying carpet tiles on a cement base if it has been treated with chemicals that have an oil base.
So now that you are all prepped and your floor is ready and waiting for your carpet tiles, let’s look at the different installation methods:
There are a few different installation patterns to consider when you are installing your carpet tiles:
Are you a rebel at heart? Well, then this is the one for you.
Th non-directional pattern is basically not a pattern at all. This one is for those that don’t want to follow a pattern and want to just use spontaneous creativity. However, some carpet tiles come with specific instructions so you won’t actually be able to use this method.
This is by far the simplest patterns to use. Perhaps for this reason, the monolithic pattern is the most popular. Because of the simplicity that the pattern offers, people who like a more elegant look use this one the most. Fit the carpet pattern according to the pattern and grain- bearing in mind the direction you want the grain to go. This will have an impact on the final visual.
This is a great way to spice up your aesthetic but still retain a sense of simplicity. The duolithic pattern is pretty much the opposite of the monolithic. In the duolithic pattern, the tiles are fitted facing reverse ways.
You can use this type of carpet tile installation to create an interesting pattern on your floor.
This carpet tile pattern is the same as laying bricks. Basically, you lay the carpet tiles on the floor all facing the same direction as the one beginning the next row displaced by half a tile.
This pattern works in exactly the same way as the above Brick pattern however it is done in a portrait rather than a landscape.
6. Quarter-turn/ Tessellated/ Chequerboard
This is when a neighboring tile is placed at a 90-degree angle. Save this pattern for the tiles with the more simple designs.
This type of pattern is great for creating visual interest and dimension for your floor. Avoid using this installation when you have multi-colored carpet tiles or carpet tiles with existing patterns.
The above patterns are the main installations patterns, and you can choose whichever one you like. When you are purchasing your carpet tiles just make sure of the instructions. Some carpet tiles specify which installation pattern to use on.
Have you already got your carpet tiles and decided what pattern to use? You are almost ready to begin fitting! But first, read on for some handy tips for the best flooring.
• Unpack the carpet tiles once they have arrived at your home. They would have been packed tightly into their container for quite some time so allow them to ‘breath’ inter new home. They will expand accordingly and you can then accurately lay the carpet tiles. Even better is to lay them out on the floor in the way that you will be installing them. That way you can see if you have any overlays or other mistakes before you even begin!
• As we went over in the preparation guidelines, make absolutely sure that the floor you want to fit the new carpet tiles on is one hundred percent clean. Not only clean but also dry. Because the tiles use adhesive to fit onto the floor, any debris, dust or moisture will prohibit the tiles from sticking efficiently to the surface floor. Make sure that there is no dust that will prohibit the adherence of the carpet tiles to the floor. Not only is this good preparation for the installation, but doing this also helps the future lifespan of the carpet in the long term.
• In order to get the most secure fitting, use a good adhesive or TacTiles. Use a small amount to ensure ultimate security during the fitting process.
• Calculate how many carpet tiles you will need, or the square meter, and then add an additional 5%. Why? Well, this is to account for any errors. Even if you wholeheartedly believe in your calculations even the smallest of mistakes or errors can be costly. Just imagine coming so close to finishing only to realize that a tiny error is going to cost you days in waiting and hours of frustration. Having that extra little bit handy will help.
• And lastly, start tiling from the middle of the room working your way towards to walls. This is the best way to install a professional looking fitting.
Browse our selection of carpet tiles today and find the best deals on tiles and tools!